New York (1988)
Washington, D. C. (1988)
Paris, France (as Avocat) (1993)
U.S. Court of Appeals, D.C. Circuit and the United States Supreme Court
B.A., Fordham College
Diplome program, Sorbonne University in Paris, France
J.D., Columbus School of Law, Catholic University of America
Scott Squillace is a business and estate planning attorney with over 30 years of experience practicing law. He is the principal and founder of a boutique estate planning firm in Boston’s historic Back Bay.
Scott began his practice career as a corporate attorney at Skadden Arps where he assisted in opening its Paris and Moscow offices in the early 1990’s. During his time at Skadden he did significant private and public company corporate and securities work as well as international transactional work from the firm’s Washington, D.C., New York and Hong Kong offices in addition to Paris and Moscow.
Scott has significant business counseling experience as an in-house corporate attorney, first as General Counsel for Levi Strauss & Co.’s European division based in Brussels and later as the first General Counsel for Grand Circle Travel, a privately held Boston based travel company. He also served as European Counsel for Cabot Corporation in Boston, a NYSE public company. He lived and worked in Europe for a total of 10 years and has traveled for work extensively in Asia, Latin America and Africa.
Scott’s current practice focuses on estate and business planning matters including tax and philanthropic planning for high net worth individuals and families. His practice includes asset protection and estate planning needs for international clientele, corporate executives, small business owners, physicians, attorneys and other professionals. He has a particular focus on helping same sex couples and members of the LGBTQ community with their unique planning needs and frequently lectures locally and nationally on this topic. In 2014 he published the first planning guide after the seminal Supreme Court decision on same sex marriage: “Whether-to-Wed: A legal and tax guide for gay and lesbian couples”.
In addition to his work as a legal counselor to individuals and families, he also frequently serves as fiduciary for the estates and as a trustee or co-trustee for family trusts. The team at Squillace & Associates assists him with the full range of services around tax, business and estate planning, including all post-mortem settlement matters.
Professional Accreditations & Recognitions
Certified Estate Planning Attorney by National Network of Estate Planning Attorneys (2008)
Certified Legacy Advisor by Sunbridge Legacy Institute (2010)
Accredited Estate Planner® by the National Association of Estate Planning Councils (2014)
Super Lawyers Magazine, Super Lawyer (2013–2016)
Boston Magazine, Five-Star Wealth Manager (2012–2016)
Boston Magazine, Five-Star Investment Professional (2017, 2018)
Member, The Lawyers of Distinction (2018)
U.S. News & World Report, Best Lawyers in America (2018)
The Wall Street Journal, Best Lawyers in New England (2018)
Corporate Insider, Estate Planning Law Firm of the Year – Massachusetts (2018)
U.S. News – Best Lawyers, Best Law Firms (2018)
Massachusetts Bar Association
Boston Bar Association, T&E Section, Past Co-Chair – Fundamentals Committee
(National) LGBT Bar Association
Massachusetts LGBT Bar Association
Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP)
The Greater Boston Fiduciary Law American Inn of Court
Boston Estate Planning Council (former Board Member)
Past Chair, Association of Corporate Counsel (ACC) – NE and Europe Chapters
Board of Directors, The Boston Foundation
Former Commissioner, LGBT Elder Commission (Appointed by Governor Deval Patrick)
Co-Chair, Equality Fund (LGBT Endowment at The Boston Foundation)
Board of Overseers, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
Incorporator and Trustee – Eastern Bank (MA)
Past Member, Professional Advisors Committee at The Boston Foundation
Past Member, Finance and Investment Committee – Episcopal Diocese of Massachusetts
Past Chair, Fenway Community Health Center Board of Directors
Past Treasurer, MassEquality
Retired from boards of the Charlestown Preservation Society; Stonewall Communities, Inc.; New England Legal Foundation’s Board of Advisors; Advisory Board to B.U. School of Management and Advisory Board for South Africa Partners
- Author, Removal of A Nutrient Feeding Tube and the Need for A Living Will, 3 J. Contemp. Health L. & Pol’y 253 (1987).
- Author, Executives of US Companies Can Be Surprised: US Estate Taxes May Apply, Offshore Investement.com, Issue 188, July/Aug. 2008, at 33.
- Author, GRITs for Gays and Other Unique Planning Opportunities for Same-Sex Couples, J. Prac. Est. Plan. (CCH), Oct. – Nov. 2009, at 33.
- Author, 2010: Estate Tax Repeal – Blessing or Curse?, J. Prac. Est. Plan. (CCH), April – May 2010, at 9.
- Author, Executives 10 Tips to Motivate Clients to Incorporate Philanthropies Into Their Estate Plans, J. Prac. Est. Plan. (CCH), Aug. – Sep. 2010, at 11.
- Co-Author with Carol Sneider Glick, Whether to Wed? Interesting State Estate Tax Issues for Gay Couples, J. Prac. Est. Plan. (CCH), Advanced Planning Strategies, Dec. 2010 – Jan. 2011, at 11.
- Author, Planning for Your Pet, CCH – re-print CCH Estate Planning Review—the Journal.(2011)
- Author, Whether to Wed: Estate Planning, Boston Spirit, January 2012. Author, College Financial Aid Disclosure for Families Headed by Same-Sex Couples, CCH Estate Planning Review—the Journal. Feb. 16, 2012, at 29.
- Co-Author, Defending Your Assets from Creditors: State Protections for 529 Plans, CCH Estate Planning Review – the Journal. Feb. 20, 2014, at 3
- Author, “Planning for Same-Sex Couples in a Marriage Equality World,” Wealth Counsel Quarterly, July 2016
- Author, Trust Termination, Drafting Wills and Trusts in Massachusetts (Chapter 19.08), MCLE, (2012).
- Author, Incapacity Documents, Drafting Wills and Trusts in Massachusetts (Chapter 24), MCLE, (2012).