New Hampshire (2019)
New York (1988)
District of Columbia (1988)
Paris, France: Avocat (1993)
Also admitted to: U.S. Court of Appeals for D.C. Circuit and the U.S. Supreme Court
B.A., Fordham College
Diplome program, Sorbonne University in Paris, France
J.D., Columbus School of Law, Catholic University of America
2020 BEPC Excellence Award Recipient
Scott Squillace is a business and estate planning attorney with over 31 years of experience practicing law. He is the principal and founder of a boutique estate planning firm in Boston’s historic Back Bay.
Scott began his practice career as a corporate attorney at Skadden Arps where he assisted in opening its Paris and Moscow offices in the early 1990’s. During his time at Skadden he did significant private and public company corporate and securities compliance work as well as international transactional work from the firm’s Washington, D.C., New York and Hong Kong offices in addition to Paris and Moscow. In addition to working on public company mergers and acquisitions, Scott assisted the corporate finance group with public debt offerings for a variety of international companies, in the form of ADRs (American Depository Receipts). He became accomplished in 1934 Securities and Exchange Act compliance work and advised a variety of public companies concerning the Act. When stationed overseas in the firm’s Paris and Moscow offices, he became adept at assisting U.S. companies establish their presence abroad, including working on a variety of joint ventures in Eastern and Central Europe at the time those markets were transitioning from planned to market economies.
Scott has significant business counseling experience as an in-house corporate attorney, first as General Counsel for Levi Strauss & Co.’s European division based in Brussels and later as the first General Counsel for Grand Circle Travel, a privately held Boston based travel company. He also served as European Counsel for Cabot Corporation in Boston, a NYSE public company. He lived and worked in Europe for nearly 10 years and has traveled for work extensively in Asia, Latin America and Africa. During that time, his practice focused on antitrust and European distribution/competition matters; intellectual property and employment law, as well as general corporate and tax matters.
Scott’s current practice focuses on estate and business planning matters including tax and philanthropic planning for high net worth individuals and families. His practice includes asset protection and estate planning needs for international clientele, corporate executives, small business owners, physicians, attorneys and other professionals. He has a particular focus on helping same sex couples and members of the LGBTQ community with their unique planning needs and frequently lectures locally and nationally on this topic. In 2014 he published the first planning guide after the landmark Supreme Court decision on same sex marriage: Whether-to-Wed: A Legal and Tax Guide for Gay and Lesbian Couples.
In addition to his planning practice, which has included sophisticated techniques for high net worth families, he also assists with governance for their complete multigenerational families. He has become a trusted advisor and frequently serves as a fiduciary for his clients. In addition, his practice includes considerable work in the area of probate and other post-mortem settlement work.
Clark, D., & O’Connor, A. (Hosts). (2021, March 3). Complex Estate Plans: Practical Strategies for Families to Consider with Impaired Beneficiaries [Audio podcast episode 12]. In Beyond the Balance Sheet. https://bit.ly/BeyondTheBalanceSheet
- Author, Removal of A Nutrient Feeding Tube and the Need for A Living Will, 3 J. Contemp. Health L. & Pol’y 253 (1987).
- Co-Author with Brian C. Olson, Establishing a Presence, ACCA Docket 19, no.2 (2001): 32-47
- Author, Executives of US Companies Can Be Surprised: US Estate Taxes May Apply, Offshore Investement.com, Issue 188, July/Aug. 2008, at 33.
- Author, GRITs for Gays and Other Unique Planning Opportunities for Same-Sex Couples, J. Prac. Est. Plan. (CCH), Oct. – Nov. 2009, at 33.
- Author, 2010: Estate Tax Repeal – Blessing or Curse?, J. Prac. Est. Plan. (CCH), April – May 2010, at 9.
- Author, Executives 10 Tips to Motivate Clients to Incorporate Philanthropies Into Their Estate Plans, J. Prac. Est. Plan. (CCH), Aug. – Sep. 2010, at 11.
- Co-Author with Carol Sneider Glick, Whether to Wed? Interesting State Estate Tax Issues for Gay Couples, J. Prac. Est. Plan. (CCH), Advanced Planning Strategies, Dec. 2010 – Jan. 2011, at 11.
- Author, Planning for Your Pet, CCH – re-print CCH Estate Planning Review—the Journal.(2011)
- Author, Whether to Wed: Estate Planning, Boston Spirit, January 2012.
- Author, College Financial Aid Disclosure for Families Headed by Same-Sex Couples, CCH Estate Planning Review—the Journal. Feb. 16, 2012, at 29.
- Co-Author, Defending Your Assets from Creditors: State Protections for 529 Plans, CCH Estate Planning Review – the Journal. Feb. 20, 2014, at 3
- Author, “Planning for Same-Sex Couples in a Marriage Equality World,” Wealth Counsel Quarterly, May 2016
- Author, “Planning for Same-Sex Couples in a Marriage Equality World,” Wealth Counsel Quarterly, July 2016
- Lawyer Monthly, Scott Squillace, “Estate Planning,” September 2016 Edition.
- Co-Author, “Strategies for Protecting the Business After an Owner’s Death,” Wealth Counsel Quarterly, October 2017.
- Author, Planning for Unmarried and Same-Sex Couples, The Family Estate Planning & Elder Law Guide (Chapter 5), Daniel P. Stuenzi, JD, (2019).
- Author, Inheritance and Estate Planning Issues for Adoptive and Reproductive Technology Assisted Families (Chapter 13), MCLE, (2018).
- Author, Trust Termination, Drafting Wills and Trusts in Massachusetts (Chapter 19.08), MCLE, (2012).
- Author, Incapacity Documents, Drafting Wills and Trusts in Massachusetts (Chapter 24), MCLE, (2012).
- Investment News, Darla Mercado, “Declining Marriage Rates Present a Planning Conundrum for Long-Term Couples,” February 9, 2015
- Instinct Magazine, John Hobbs, “Should We or Shouldn’t We?” April/May 2014
- Investment News, Darla Mercado, “LGBT Married Clients Weather Complicated Tax Season,” April 16, 2014
- Think Advisor, Jane Wollman Rusoff, “More Money, More (Tax) Problems: How NHWs Can Reduce Their Tax Bills,” April 4, 2014
- Huffington Post, Charlotte Robinson, “Scott Squillace, Attorney and Author, Talks Whether to Wed: A Legal and Tax Guide for Gay and Lesbian Couples,” March 30, 2014
- Wall Street Cheat Sheet, Dan Ritter, “Whether to Wed: 5 Tax Issues Facing Same-Sex Couples,” March 23, 2014
- Investment News, Darla Mercado, “A New Financial Planning Frontier for Same-Sex Marriage,” February 2, 2014
- Echelon Magazine, Michael Lamb, “For Same Sex Couples, It’s Not As Simple As Saying ‘I Do’,” November 15, 2013
- The Art Newspaper, Martha Lufkin, “Married Gay Couples to get Art Tax Breaks,” October 2013
- Investment News, Darla Mercado and Trevor Hunnicutt, “Retirement Benefits No Longer at Risk for Same-Sex Couples,” September, 2013
- New York Times, Tara Siegel Bernard, “Gay and Married Couples in New Land of Taxation,” August 30, 2013
- The Wall Street Journal, Kelly Green, “Dealing with a Brave New Financial World,” June 29, 2013
- Bloomberg Business Week, John Tozzi, “The DOMA Ruling’s Implications for Employers Expanded,” June 28, 2013
- Boston Business Journal, Hannah Fingerhut, “Supreme Court’s DOMA Ruling Already Keeping Local Law Firms Busy,” June 28, 2013
- Boston Herald, Jordan Graham, “Myriad Benefits Will Have to Be Defined,” June 28, 2013
- Reuters, Jennifer Hoyt Cummings, “How to Live Up to Your LGBT Marketing,” June 28, 2013
- CNN Money, Blake Ellis, “What’s next after the Same-Sex Marriage Rulings?” June 27, 2013
- National Law Journal, Tony Mauro, “Justices Strike Down DOMA in Landmark Ruling,” June 26, 2013
- Bloomberg Business Week, Benjamin Steverman, “You’re a Gay Couple. Now What do You do?” June 26, 2013
- Boston Globe, Gail Waterhouse, “Among Things, Taxes Just Got Easier for Same-Sex Couples,” June 26, 2013
- Boston Globe, Yvonne Abraham, “Equality Means No Room for Abridgement on Equality,” June 26, 2013
- Associated Press, David Crary, “For Nationwide Gay Marriage, More Battles Ahead,” June 26, 2013
- Market Watch, Jonnelle Marte, “Same-Sex Couples: Celebrate, then Call a CPA,” June 26, 2013
- NECN, “Attorney: Supreme Court Rulings are a Great Beginning,” June 26, 2013
- NECN, “Gay Rights Supporters ‘Ecstatic’ Over Supreme Court Ruling,” June 26, 2013
- Politico, MJ Lee & Kate Davidson, “Wall Street Watching DOMA Decision,” June 24, 2013
- The Edge Boston, Antoinette Weil, “Striking Down DOMA & Prop 8 Inevitable,” June 16, 2013
- National Law Journal, Tony Mauro, “Court Likely to Dump DOMA, Punt on Prop. 8,” April 4, 2013
- Huffington Post, Scott Squillace, “SCOTUS Hearings on Gay Marriage Day Two: Good News, Bad News and Really Good News,” March 28, 2013
Professional Accreditations & Recognitions
Top-Rated Lawyer, Avvo (2021)
BEPC Excellence Award – Boston Estate Planning Council (BEPC) (2020)
Estate Planning Award – International Advisory Experts (2020)
Recommended Attorney & Firm – Premier Tax Lawyers (2019-2020)
Independent Trustee Alliance, Master Certified Independent Trustee (2019)
U.S. News & World Report, Best Lawyers in America (2018, 2019, 2020)
Lawyers of Distinction, Lawyer of Distinction (2018)
The Wall Street Journal, Best Lawyers in New England (2018)
Corporate Insider, Estate Planning Law Firm of the Year – Massachusetts (2018)
U.S. News – Best Lawyers, Best Law Firms (2018, 2020)
Boston Magazine, Five-Star Investment Professional (2017, 2018)
Super Lawyers Magazine, Super Lawyer (2013–2017, 2021)
Boston Magazine, Five-Star Wealth Manager (2012–2017)
Accredited Estate Planner – National Association of Estate Planning Councils (2014)
Certified Legacy Advisor and Fellow – Sunbridge Legacy Institute, Florida (2008)
Bar Association Activities
Boston Bar Association, Committee Member: Adams Benefit Committee (2017)
Boston Bar Association, Past sub-committee chair: Trusts & Estates section, T&E Fundamentals Committee Co-Chair
Massachusetts Bar Association, member
National Gay and Lesbian Bar Association, member
Massachusetts LGBT Bar Association, member
Other Professional Memberships – Current
Fellow, The American College of Trust and Estate Counsel (ACTEC)
American Inn of Court, The Greater Boston Fiduciary Law Section
Independent Trustee Alliance, Master Certified Independent Trustee
Pride Planners, member
Purposeful Planning Institute, Founding member
Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP), member
Wealth Counsel, member
Other Professional Memberships – Previous
Member of Board of Directors of The Boston Estate Planning Council (BEPC)
National Network of Estate Planning Attorneys, member
Association of Corporate Counsel, past president of Europe and New England chapters
Sunbridge Legacy Institute, Fellow (2007-2014)
Board of Directors, The Boston Foundation (Chair of Development Committee, Member of Executive Committee)
Board of Advisors – Eastern Bank, Member of Board’s Trust Committee
Incorporator – Eastern Bank (MA)
Member – French Heritage Society
Member – New England Genealogical Society
Advisory Board – Project Q (Affordable Housing for the Elder LGBTQ Community)
Co-Chair & Founder, Equality Fund (an endowment for the LGBTQ community at The Boston Foundation)
Board of Overseers, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
Board member and Past Chair, Fenway Community Health Center (largest provider of care to those with HIV & AIDS in New England and the largest LGBTQ health center in the U.S.)
Board member and Past Treasurer, MassEquality (established to lobby for and secure equal marriage rights in MA following Goodridge decision in 2004)
Board member and Past Treasurer, Stonewall Communities, Inc. (established to provide housing and education to elderly LGBT community)
Board member, Charlestown Preservation Society
Member, Boston University Board of Advisors for School of Management
Member, New England Legal Foundation, Board of Advisors
Member – Professional Advisors Committee at The Boston Foundation
Member – Advisory Board of South Africa Partners
Trustee, Algonquin Club Foundation, Boston, MA
Commissioner, LGBT Commission on Aging (appointed by Governor Deval Patrick, March 2014)
Member of Episcopal Diocesan Finance and Investment Committee for Eastern Diocese of Massachusetts